Professor Pascale Fung 冯雁
Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow, International Speech Communication Association (ISCA)
- Member, Global Future Council on AI and Robotics, World Economic Forum (2016-)
- President and Board Member, Association of Computational Linguistics SIGDAT
- Editor, Computer Speech and Language
- Committee Member, IEEE Signal Processing Society Speech and Language Technical Committee (2009-2014)
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (2012-2015)
- Action Editor, Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (2012-2015)
- Technical Co-Chair, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2018, 2020
- Program Co-Chair, MT Summit XVI 2017
- Keynote Speaker, “Robots with Heart: Towards Empathetic Human-Machine Interactions”, IEEE Spoken Language Technology, San Diego, December 2016
- Invited Speaker, “Difficulties and Experiments with Data Collection for Speech Emotion Processing and Recognition”, University of Stuttgart, Germany, October 2016
- Invited Speaker, “How To Make Robots Empathetic to Human Feelings in Real Time?”, O’Reilly AI Summit, NYC, September 2014
- Invited Speaker, “Artificial Intelligence: Blurring the Lines Between Humans and Machines”, Milken Institute Asia Summit, Singapore, September 2016
- Keynote Speaker, “Towards Empathetic Human-Robot Interactions”, Third Workshop on Big Data and Computer Intelligence, Beijing, July 2016
- Invited Panelist, “AI and Robotics”, Goldman Sachs TechNet Conference Asia-Pacific 2016, Hong Kong, May 2016
- Keynote Speaker, “Towards Empathetic Human-Robot Interactions”, 17th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, April 2016
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Technical Co-Chair, 2014 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop
- Area Coordinator, Interspeech 2010, 2011, 2014
- Area Chair, EMNLP 2014
- Program Chair, The 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics 2013
Pascale Fung is a Professor at the Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering at The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. She is an elected Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) for her “contributions to human-machine interactions”, and an elected Fellow of the International Speech Communication Association for “fundamental contributions to the interdisciplinary area of spoken language human-machine interactions”. She is the founding Director of InterACT at HKUST, a joint research and education center with Carnegie Mellon University, University of Karlsruhe (TH) and Waseda University. She co-founded the Human Language Technology Center (HLTC). She is an affiliated faculty with the Robotics Institute at HKUST. She is the founding chair of the Women Faculty Association at HKUST.
Prof. Fung was born in Shanghai to professional artist parents but found her calling in artificial intelligence when she became interested in science fictions as a child. Today, her research interests lies in building intelligent systems that can understand and empathise with humans. To achieve this goal, her specific areas of research are statistical natural language processing, spoken language systems, emotion and sentiment recognition, and predictive analytics. She is an Editor for Computer Speech and Language. She was an Associate Editor for the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing and the Transactions on Association for Computational Linguistics. She was Program Chair for the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Area Chair for the IEEE International Conference on Audio, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) from 2009 to 2014, Area Coordinator for Interspeech 2016, 2014, 2011 and 2010, Area Chair for EMNLP 2014, Technical Co-Chair for 2014 IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop, Technical Chair for the 2009 IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding, and Chair of 2009 ACL 2nd Workshop on Building and Using Comparable Corpora. She has been Area Chair for EACL 2012, NAACL 2011, ACL 2008 and ACL 2004. She was Chair (1999) and Area Chair (2004) for EMNLP. She served as a Committee Member of the IEEE Signal Processing Society Speech and Language Technology Committee (SLTC) for six years. She is the Vice-President and a Board Member of the ACL Special Interest Group on Linguistics Data and Corpus Based Approaches in NLP (SIGDAT). She has been a panelist and reviewer for the US National Science Foundation, the French National Science Foundation, and the Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
A strong proponent of technology transfer, Prof. Fung has also co-founded a number of multinational companies focused on natural language interfaces and personalized recommendation systems for internet users and corporate customers. She has been an Associate Chair of the HKUST One Million Dollar Entrepreneurship Competition. She pioneered and has been teaching Engineering Entrepreneurship since 2007. She blogs for the online publication Agenda, and is on the Global Future Council on AI and Robotics, a think tank for the World Economic Forum.
Prof. Fung received her PhD in Computer Science from Columbia University in 1997. She worked and studied at AT&T Bell Labs (1993~1997), BBN Systems & Technologies (1992), LIMSI, CNRS, France (1991),Department of Information Science, Kyoto University, Japan (1989~1991), and at Ecole Centrale Paris, France(1988). A fluent speaker of seven European and Asian languages, Prof. Fung has been particularly interested in multilingual speech and natural language issues.